I’m going a tiny bit off topic for just a minute. I know, I know…why is a blogger who promotes colour talking about going without it for one day a week?
It’s something I’ve decided to do for myself and I thought I’d share.
Like most people these days (and possibly Mums the most), I try to reduce the impact of harmful chemicals in my life. It’s fair to say I don’t buy all of my vegetables from organic sources and I’m sure there’s more I can do to reduce the chemicals in my cleaning products as there are still 2 or 3 that I can’t bear to part with (damn you, Exit Mould). It wasn’t until I read some articles recently (and a colourful infographic) that it hit home I was using them somewhere I hadn’t really thought about – on my body!
After looking around the internets, I found this post by The Beauty Bean. They created Makeup-Free Monday a few years back and I like the idea so much that I’ve decided to join in! It’s something small and easy that I can do to make a difference in my life.
Today was day one and I’ve gotta say, it was a toughie. On weekends I don’t really wear makeup but Monday is a work day for me and it was surprisingly daunting. I was soooo self-conscious. It was like I was back in school with a face full of acne and I wanted to hide away underneath my hair. I found it hard making eye contact with my workmates! Who’d have thought I’d still have those sorts of insecurities as a grown adult?! Anyway, it became clear pretty quickly that noone seemed to mind (or maybe even notice?) and it didn’t seem that big a deal. Maybe I don’t need makeup as much as I thought I did!
I thought of other positive reasons why this would be something to keep up:
• It’s only one day a week but it reduces my exposure to synthetic chemicals (P.S I do use a natural foundation and mineral face powder but I’ll be damned if I can find a decent natural mascara…any recs you might have are very welcome)
• I’d like one day a week to just be me
• It’ll save me money
• I can use that 15 minutes a day to spend on something more fun (or maybe even sleep in)
• I’m interested to see how people react to me on the days I DO have makeup on…will they comment about how much better I look?
• It’ll inspire me to wear more colourful clothes and accessories to add colour!
Anyhoo from now on I’ll be joining in the Makeup-Free Monday. If you’re keen to try it too, let me know and we can cheer each other on! Here is my first no-photoshopping, no filter, no makeup photo. It’s not THAT hideous really… I can so do this…